A number of young people in this generation have had their confidence shattered by misaligned teeth. Dentistry evolved to present a revolutionary technique to address misaligned teeth as a way to treat this issue and many other concerns that come with it. Orthodontics, the branch of dentistry that deals with these issues, has progressed in previously inconceivable ways.
Dental braces have gone a long way to provide unrivalled comfort to wearers of all ages. Patients, on the other hand, now have a variety of options to choose from apart from good dentists as a result of this evolution. The most significant difference between these groups is their look. Here's a quick rundown of how it works.
- Metallic Braces: Braces with wires and metal brackets that are cemented on top of the teeth.
- Ceramic Braces: Braces with wires and clear ceramic brackets.
- Lingual Braces: Braces that are placed behind the teeth so they are visible.
- Clear Aligners: A kind of transparent aligners that are removable and are custom made for everyone.
While the first 3 are not removable, clear aligners have a clear advantage on the rest of them as they are removable and custom made for a patient, which means better and more targeted treatment. However, there are more differences between traditional braces and clear aligners apart from this one. Let’s take a look at these differences.
What is the Difference Between Clear Braces and Traditional Braces?
- Material: While traditional braces make use of metal and ceramic brackets and metal wires/rubber bands, Clear Aligners are made of transparent plastic that is inert and of a BPA-free grade.
- Dentist Visits: Both, braces and clear aligners move the teeth in position with the use of pressure and body heat. However, they cannot be just put in place and forgotten. While traditional braces are tightened by reshaping and strengthening the wires, clear aligners like Invisible braces are simply replaced with a new one altogether. Because clear aligners are custom made, they require less frequent visits to the dentist.
- Convenience: Traditional braces often come with their own set of rules and regulations regarding care and cleaning. There are also a number of restrictions regarding food and liquids that can be consumed. Clear aligner users can simply take their braces out while cleaning their teeth or eating. They can also eat anything they like. The only thing to remember with clear aligners is that they should be rinsed with warm water every time they are taken out.
- Duration of Treatment: The clear instruction with clear aligners is that they must be worn for at least 22 hours a day. The compliance of this rule is the biggest contributor to the overall duration of the treatment. When patients comply with this rule diligently, the duration is the same as that of traditional braces, while non-compliance usually results in an extended period of time.
- Cost: Because of the technology, material, and expertise involved, all kinds of braces have a large difference in how much they cost. Metallic and ceramic braces are usually the most affordable, while lingual ceramic braces price is a little more. Clear aligners are usually priced slightly higher on this spectrum.
For patients who have had braces in their lifetime, or are considering getting them currently, facing so many options has always been confusing. Hopefully, this detailed article will help you in drawing the line between braces and clear aligners. You can choose which treatment suits your needs and act accordingly.