As a dentist, I can tell you that Invisalign is a popular clear aligner option for orthodontic treatment, and there are several reasons why it's considered the best option:
- Customized Treatment: Invisalign clear aligners are customized to fit your teeth perfectly, providing a comfortable and effective orthodontic treatment that is tailored to your specific needs.
- Clear Appearance: The clear aligners are virtually invisible, making it a great option for those who don't want to wear traditional metal braces that are noticeable.
- Removable: Invisalign aligners are removable, which means you can easily take them out when eating, brushing, or flossing. This makes it easier to maintain good oral hygiene during treatment.
- Faster Treatment Time: Invisalign treatment typically takes less time compared to traditional braces, with most treatments lasting between 6-18 months, depending on the complexity of the case.
- Predictable Results: Invisalign uses advanced 3D imaging technology to create a customized treatment plan that allows for more predictable results. This means that you can see how your teeth will look after treatment before you even start.
The concept of clear aligners has been around for many decades, but the development of modern clear aligners can be traced back to the late 1990s. Invisalign, which is one of the most well-known and popular brands of clear aligners, was invented by Zia Chishti, a graduate student in Stanford's MBA program, and Kelsey Wirth, who was a student in Stanford's engineering program. They founded Align Technology, the company behind Invisalign, in 1997.
Chishti and Wirth initially developed the idea of clear aligners as an alternative to traditional metal braces, which were uncomfortable and often aesthetically unappealing. They worked with orthodontists and engineers to develop a series of clear plastic aligners that could gradually move teeth into the desired position. Invisalign became commercially available in 1999, and it quickly gained popularity among patients who wanted a more discreet and comfortable orthodontic treatment option.
Since then, other companies have also developed clear aligner systems, but Invisalign remains one of the most recognized and widely used brands in the market.
Here are some of the most common alternatives to Invisalign:
ClearCorrect: ClearCorrect is a clear aligner company that provides a similar treatment to Invisalign. They use clear aligners that are custom-made to fit your teeth and gradually move them into the desired position.
Smile Direct Club: Smile Direct Club offers clear aligners that are also custom-made to fit your teeth. They use a remote orthodontic model, which means that you can receive treatment from home by sending in impressions of your teeth and having aligners mailed to you.
Candid Co: Candid Co also provides clear aligners that are customized to fit your teeth. They have a network of licensed orthodontists who oversee your treatment and can monitor your progress remotely.
Byte: Byte offers a clear aligner system that uses HyperByte technology, which helps accelerate treatment time. They also provide at-home impression kits and remote monitoring by a licensed orthodontist.
It's important to note that while these companies offer similar alternatives to Invisalign, they may have differences in pricing, treatment time, and overall effectiveness. I always recommend finding a cosmetic dentist with Invisalign expertise to get info specific to your teeth and facial structure.