PREGNANCY AND DENTAL CARE
Pregnancy creates enormous changes in your physical body. These changes take place at the hormonal level and can impact many aspects of your health.
Although all women may not experience dental discomfort many are likely to experience certain discomfort regarding oral health.
During pregnancy progesterone hormone levels are high. Due to this, women are more susceptible to developing bacterial plaque that attack your gums
You might experience symptoms like swollen gums, tender puffy gums, red gums, bleeding gums, etc
INCREASED RISK OF TOOTH DECAY
Pregnant women have an increased risk of severe tooth decay. On consumption of increased amount of carbohydrates, cavities develop at a faster rate than normal. Many pregnant women experience morning sickness and gastric reflux acid in the mouth also causes enamel to wear off making teeth sensitive.
A swelling that happens between teeth due to overgrowth of tissue is called pregnancy tumor and appears on the gums.
HOW TO TAKE CARE OF ORAL HEALTH DURING PREGNANCY?
- The best time to get dental treatment done is during the second trimester. In the third trimester it may get very difficult to lie down on your back for long periods of times. During the first trimester you should get regular check up and cleaning done.
- X-RAYS – X-RAYS are made only when it is absolutely necessary. Incase you require an X-RAY, you will be given a lead apron for protection.
- Abscess – Since pregnant woman have an increased risk of tooth decay; cavities form faster and when left untreated, the bacteria seeps in the inner part of the teeth damaging the nerve leading to an abscess.
- Opt for a healthy diet that includes food rich in calcium, vitamins A, C, D. Stay away from foods that contain extra sugar, carbohydrates, soda, etc
- Brushing and flossing daily is important in order to maintain daily oral hygiene.
Our team at Dr. Krinita Motwani’s multi-specialty clinic specializes in Cosmetic and Esthetic dentistry and offer a multitude of treatments like Smile makeover, Veneers, Teeth whitening, Dental implants, One sitting root-canal and preventive dentistry, we got you and your family’s dental needs covered.
You can find us at www.krinitamotwani.com.
Call or Whatsapp us at 9820280343 to book an appointment.