I bet you love drinking soda! You could sip on it all day long if you could! But what if I told you that drinking soda too much is the root cause of your dental issues?
Soda or soft drinks contain a form of high fructose corn syrup which equates to approximately 10 tsps of sugar per Oz can. This sugar attacks the good bacteria and weakens our teeth leading to tooth decay.
Harmful contents in soft drinks
- Carbonic acid – Is a by product of adding carbon dioxide to water to produce the bubbles which is harmful for enamel.
- Phosphoric Acid – Prevents moulds and bacteria from growing and gives soda its tangy flavour.
- Citric Acid- Added to lemon-lime and other fruit flavoured soft drinks for tartness.
All these acids in sodas erode the enamel, reduce the hardness of tooth surface and causes hypersensitivity.
After erosion, dentin becomes susceptible to cavities.
Here is a list of drinks with sugar and choices that can be made to replace them
- Fresh lime Soda can be replaced with fresh lime water.
- Sugared smoothies can be replaced with fresh fruit smoothies.
- Fruit punch and juice can be replaced with diluted fresh fruit juices.
- Tea / coffee with sugar can be replaced with tea / coffee without sugar.
Given below are a few tips you can also follow to avoid cavities
- Don’t sip your drink- Sipping drinks gives bacteria more time to stay in your mouth and multiply.
- Rinse your mouth with water after every meal to wash away foul bacteria.
- Fluoride – fluoride helps to protect teeth from cavities and bad bacteria. Always try using a fluoridated toothpaste.
- Brushing – brush your teeth twice a day and floss daily to avoid tartar formation.
Research shows that diet soda isn’t any better than the usual soda and does equal damage to teeth.
To book an appointment, contact us as follows
Dr. Krinita Motwani’s Dental Clinic
Khar west, Mumbai.
Mbl : 9820280343.
Visit us : www.drkrinitamotwani.com