Replies

• It's great to see a smile transform with no prep veneers! Great article. Thank You!

http://offislanddental.com

• Wonderful article you have given for no prep veneers. Thank you for your posting . I would suggest getting the teeth straightened first to relieve the crowding and correcting the overbite. Then see if you need veneers.  Invisalign may help you achieve this. If at the end of treatment you still don't like the way your teeth look then you can always add veneers.  The no prep can work in some cases but often times they can look a little bulky when no preparation is done. Its pretty hard to evaluate any Veneer situation without photos and a registration of how you bite (how your teeth come together) There are so many variables that a dentist has to look at to determine what type of Veneer material can be used, what shape, colour and how much to Prep the teeth being Veneered - and its different for everyone. The problem that can exist with No Prep Veneers is that the edge of the Veneers will sit on top of your tooth and at that point there will be a raised margin. If you are really set on No Prep, you might want to try out Composite Veneers first, they are less expensive than going to Full Veneers and can have a very nice result also. There are many new materials out , such as Empress Direct etc, that are very Veneer like in their appearance.

• Minimal prep veneers are the rage for some . Even the lumineers people say that most often a minimal prep is needed. That said, if the patients teeth are inclined slightly lingual then maybe a no prep can be done. Pascal Magne has felt that enamel wear can allow one to use minimal prep at times. Then you still need to wax up and do an acrylic try in to see if this is possible. The problem as I see it is that one needs the ideal situation in terms of tooth alignment, tooth color to get ideal looking restorations. Most lumineers are very opaque. The materials any other lab use at these thickness (.3) you will have a translucncy issue plus tooth color to deal with.
    Rick
  • I have done minimal prep and no prep veneers in situations such as hypodontia and peg laterals with good results. These cases are generally bonded to 100% enamel and should work out well in the long run. I generally prefer at least a slight prep so as not to create a gingival ledge. Lumineers are a proprietary product and require that you take their course, use their lab and their resins. They are heavily advertised to the profession and directly to the public-- I don't know that this is necessarily a positive. I took their course many years ago, but have not used their product.
  • Hi Richard,
    I asked one of our members, Greg Paskerian, for his comments on this. His response is as follows:
    "Cary,
    I haven't done any "Lumineer" veneers. I have done minimal prep where the goal was to improve the contours with a minimal shade change. So far the results have been very good. The lumineers are proprietory and require taking their training course, which I have not done. From what I read, if you need to make a shade change of more than three or four steps, you have to accept a more opaque than vital result.
    Greg"
  • It is my understanding that no prep veneers have limited application. They are thin so they can't be used to cover badly discolored teeth and they will overcontour the teeth. They have created a lot of patient interest and that is a good thing.
  • I actually was interested in the Lumineer type of veneers.
  • I suppose you mean the snap-on...i have attended a lecture by the inventor.
    I think some of our patients will benefit from such a solution.
    Among them: people who cannot afford the conventional treatments, people of really compromized health who want to improve really bad apperance of their teeth, people who need transitional bridges over aumentation and implant sites and more.
    As long as the snap on can be removed easily to allow normal cleaning its ok.
    When , and if...i use it i will be glad to share more...
This reply was deleted.