If you have a missing tooth or need to have a tooth removed, a dental implant is one replacement option. A dental implant can replace one tooth, two or more teeth, or serve as an anchor for a bridge or dentures. Dental implants are the best quality tooth replacement option, but they come at a price.
How much do dental implants cost in Middlesex County, MA and the surrounding area? It depends on a number of factors. Here’s an overview of what you can expect for a dental implant quote and what contributes to the cost.
What is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is an artificial tooth and root system. A titanium post is placed in the jaw bone to serve as the anchor for a porcelain crown. It looks and functions as closely as possible to a natural tooth and can last for a lifetime.
Average Cost of a Dental Implant
One dental implant to replace one tooth can cost between $3,000 and $4,500. Depending on where you go, you could get a slightly higher or slightly lower quote. Many different factors affect the cost of a dental implant, and the price may not be the same for every patient.
Factors that Contribute to the Cost of Dental Implants
The price of a dental implant may vary depending on the following factors:
- Location of the missing tooth. Where the dental implant will be placed in your mouth is a factor in the cost. The easier it is to access, the lower the price may be. On the other hand, if the tooth is a highly visible front tooth, it may cost more to ensure it looks natural.
- Preparatory procedures. Before a dental implant can be placed, there must be sufficient bone density in the jaw to support it. If there isn’t, which is likely if the tooth has been missing for a while, a bone graft procedure may need to be performed first. A bone graft involves surgically placing a bone graft on top of the existing jaw bone under the gums to fortify it and encourage regeneration. This adds to the total cost of a dental implant.
- The quality of the materials. Most dental implants and the abutment / connection post are made of titanium, with a porcelain crown. These are considered to be the best quality materials for dental implants. Anything less may come at a lower cost, but may not last as long or look as natural.
- The location of your dentist’s office. The geographic location of your dental office plays a part in the cost of a dental implant. The cost of living in an area affects all kinds of services, and dental care is included.
- Your dentist’s level of experience. The more experienced your dentist is at placing dental implants, the higher the cost may be. With experience comes a better reputation, a wider base of patients, and the ability to charge more for their expertise.
Does Insurance Cover Dental Implants?
In most cases dental insurance will not cover dental implants. Insurance providers consider dental implants to be a cosmetic procedure, even though they serve a dental health purpose. In some cases medical insurance will cover just the implant root when there is a medical need for it. Insurance providers also tend to cover the least expensive option rather than what is best for the patient.
How to Make Dental Implants More Affordable
If a dental implant is in your best interest, it is worth the cost. Financing is one way to make the cost of dental implants more affordable, allowing you to make affordable monthly payments. CareCredit and other credit options are available to help you pay for medical costs not covered by your insurance.
Periodontal Associates Specializes in Dental Implant Placement
If you’re looking for an experienced periodontist to place your dental implant, contact Periodontal Associates. Our skilled surgical specialists have over 30 years of experience placing Dental implants and performing other dental procedures. You can rest assured that we have your best interest in mind when it comes to your dental health.
Call 508-875-6185 today to schedule a consultation at our Framingham office or 617-964-6185 for our Newton Centre office. You can also request an appointment at your convenience. We look forward to providing you with top quality periodontal services.